Me. Philosophy. Thoughts. Dogma. Subculture. Visual. Ideology. Neurosis. Reality. Existence. Art. Politics. Music. Theories. Boredom. Peter Pan Syndrome. Whatever.

Sunday, October 14, 2007

Our Recent Southern California Visit

Our trip was excellent. Al and I decided not to fly but drive instead, so we can spend quality time on the road together while sound-tripping our favorite music. We left on Thursday night around 8:30 pm and got to LA around 1:30 am, just in time for a late check in - at the worst inn we've ever stayed in, ever! Yeah, we travelled for only five hours with no traffic in sight and no rain. Had we waited a day, we would have been driving in the rain with Friday rush hour traffic and a dozen big rigg accident with fire involved which closed down Interstate 5. Going back, we didn't experience traffic until the closed lane, but our trusty GPS system gave us alternate route so we avoided more traffic. Whew! We actually got home a little bit under 6 hours.

Friday morning, we drove to Santa Monica (or SaMo) since we had the day off before the christening and birthday celebration. It was a nice day to drive to the famous Santa Monica Pier. As soon as we got there, we walked towards the end of the pier passing by Pacific Park, a popular attraction especially for kids. We almost rode their Pacific Wheel, the world's first and only solar powered ferris wheel, but we didn't. We walked all the way at the end of the pier, where some people were fishing (saw one catch a small fish), some were busking, and some were just taking pictures. It was a nice scenic walk of the the Santa Monica State Beach. We were hungry too so we ate lunch at Bubba Gump. I remember having pleasant experiences at the ones in SF and Monterey, but unfortunately, I didn't have a good experience eating at the Bubba Gump in Santa Monica. Other places we went to in Santa Monica - Palisades Park, Main Street, Montana Ave, some nice houses near the beach, Civic Center, and the Third Street Promenade. There was also a crew filming at the last venue.

We then went to Medieval Times for a show, tournament and dinner. Traffic was horrible going back to Buena Park, but since it's Friday and there's two of us, we just went to the carpool lanes which made our traffic experience easier. As soon as we reached Medieval Times, they gave us a green crown, we took pictures with the princess, and we checked out the merchandise. At 6:30 pm, we entered the arena and was seated in the green section where we were told to cheer for the green knight (he was the cutest one among all the knights, hehe). Our bill of fare was good - soup, spare ribs, garlic bread, roasted chicken, potatoes, two drinks, a strudel dessert, and coffee. Al was sooo into the joust, screaming at the top of his lungs, rooting for the green knight and booing others. I was having so much fun myself watching and rooting for the hottest knight there, haha. After the feast and joust tournament, we headed to my auntie's place to meet with the rest of the family (and my dear lola who is also on vacation in LA). We ate my auntie's fine cooking (gosh, I really missed her cooking) and hung out with familia that we missed going to Knott's Scary Farm (it was raining a little bit anyway so we decided to hang out at my aunt's instead). We also regretted not sleeping over at my aunt's and chose to check in instead. It's cool.

Oh how I love my cousins so much (of course, I babysat almost all of them, hehe) that I would travel far distances just to attend their celebrations. My second cousin Michelle's son, Jeremiah, just turned one year old (how quick) so he was going to celebrate it in true Filipino fashion (and yes, the way our folks celebrate one year old birthdays - in a grand scale). I was also the primary ninang so I had to be there (glad to be the godmother of such a good baby). Jeremiah is so nice that he didn't even cry when the priest poured water on his forehead. In fact, he put his hand on his hair and started rubbing his hair (he was probably thinking he's taking a bath or something). That was the funniest christening moment I have ever seen in my life so far.

The reception was in a huge hall with blue balloons, a three-tier cake, tons of food, lechon, and a cotton candy machine. My lola was there (yey) so I got to see her after a long time (she travelled all the way from Wash town). I missed her so much so I was so happy to see her. I will see her again anyway once she visits us after two weeks. Too bad we had to leave early since we were trying to catch the Retro Manila party in Palo Alto to be with my first cousin Eyng who also travelled from another state just to be with us. 5 was closed because of this major accident so we made a short detour on 14 and back to 5 (which a lot of people don't know about) so we made it home under 6 hours and just in time for the party.


Post a Comment


<< Home